Thursday, February 24, 2011

Shake your Shamrock Dog Cookies

One of my "hobbies" I guess you could say is making dog treats.  I have about 25-30 different recipes/shapes that I make for this little guy, Jameson, my Rottie. Well, I guess 130 lbs. is not so little. This is one of our furballs, Jameson (also known as Bubby.).
Jameson, in one of his many costume accessories. 
I like to talk about my pets a lot so I figured this was the perfect time to introduce him. Jameson will be 3 years old on St. Patrick's Day, hence the Irish name, Jameson. And since my husband is a fan of the whiskey, Jameson was the perfect name. 
Jameson at 4 months old, with my husband.
Anyways, last year, before his birthday, I decided to make him some special treats. I made these Shake your Shamrock Peanut Butter & Banana cookies (which he and several other pooches loved by the way). 
Shake your Shamrock Peanut Butter & Banana Dog Cookies
Months down the road, I attempted to start a business because they were so popular amongst family, friends and co-workers. I had the cutest name, cutest logo and had about 50 people placing orders. I did all my research on cost of packaging, ingredients, made a website and so on.  However, after learning all the rules in Food Safety laws, I decided to just keep it something on the side I do for those that I know. As much as I would love 3 compartment sink and a ton of other gadgets needed for that kind of business, we do not have the space or money for that right now. One can dream though, right? Maybe one day!

For those that are interested in making some treats for your pup, the recipe is below. Hope your pup enjoys them as much as I mine!


Recipe: Peanut Butter & Banana Dog Cookies
Adapted from Allrecipes.com
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cups smashed banana
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon honey

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Mix together the flour, eggs, peanut butter, banana, salt, honey and cinnamon in a bowl. Add water as needed to help make the dough workable and not crumbly, but the dough should be dry and stiff. Roll the dough out onto a flour surface, about 1/2 inch thick.  Use your favorite cookie cutter to cut out cookies. 
  3. Bake in preheated oven until hard, about 40 minutes. 
  4. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.  

0 comments: