Thursday, March 24, 2011

Kerpoof

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m a teacher. I’m a teacher who loves their job. Even more so, I’m a teacher that gets to teach one of the “fun” classes. I teach technology! I don’t like the title “computer” teacher because I not only teach students how to effectively use a computer but also incorporate digital cameras, video cameras, microphones, cell phones, iPods, GPSs and more into their everyday lives.  I taught 5th grade for five years and then became the technology teacher of our school for grades 1st through 6th after earning my Master’s degree in technology education. I have been teaching tech for 5 years now and love every second of it. We have 4-5 classes per grade level so they definitely keep me on my toes. Hesitant (and devastated) at first with this position, I’m so glad my principal chose me to take on this role.

With that being said, I come across A LOT of education websites that I feel many of my readers could benefit from for their children. Or for those that do not have children of their own but have children in their lives (like myself with plenty of nieces and nephews), a lot of these are worth sharing.

So since I am on my lunch break, I thought I would post my first educationally, technology related post. I wanted to share a website my students are currently using called Kerpoof
Kerpoof's multimedia software can be used by children (ages 3 and up) worldwide to create (and publish on the web) original artwork, animated movies, stories, greeting cards and more. The site is not only fun but has a huge educational value as well. And I’ll be honest, I love to “play” in it as well. When I create my examples for my classes, I’m always amazed at all that one can do.   
Kerpoof currently has eight features for children (or adults) to “play” in:
  • Make a Picture
  • Spell a Picture
  • Make a Movie
  • Make a Drawing
  • Make a Card
  • Make a Story
  • Make a Storybook
  • Doodle Pad
When you create things on Kerpoof, you can also earn virtual "koins" that they can save and use to "buy" characters, objects and effects for stories, pictures, or movies. My students love dressing up their avatars, especially for the holidays.
Not only is it safe but when a child submits an item for publishing, the creators at Kerpoof have to approve it. It usually takes about a week to show up on the site after approval.

Kerpoof's activities are entirely free for anyone to use. However, it does allow you to subscribe to paid, premium services such as communication features.

This is definitely a website worth checking out! Check out some examples of student work we have done in my classroom. My 4th graders were writing and illustrating planet mnemonics and my 5th graders wrote and illustrated their own alliterations. They came out pretty cute. 




3 comments:

WheelchairDecor said...

It is such a fun asset to have computers in the teaching process! It makes it a lot more interactive for kids.
Becky Jane

WheelchairDecor said...

Forgot to add:
New follower, hope you can stop by for a visit!
http://wheelchairdecor.blogspot.com/
Thanks, Becky Jane

BabyDealsDujour said...

What a great idea! My 4 year old would love this.

Now following from BabyDealsDujour.com We track all of the baby daily deals in real time. Would love for you to stop by and follow back!