Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Avocado Egg Rolls with Cilantro Vinaigrette Dipping Sauce

Well, things have been a quite hectic so I haven’t had time to post. My laptop downloaded a nasty virus at the end of last week so luckily, our tech support at school was able to fix it after completely wiping clean my computer. I just got that back late Monday. What a headache! I’ve never had a virus before so let me tell ya, it was fun, having to move 2 years worth of files onto our network and my flash drive. And today and tomorrow, we have our school’s variety show which I am co-producer of so I’ve been running around doing preparations for that. As with any show, we’ve had our fair share of little nuisances but hopefully it will go smoothly today and tomorrow. 

Aside from all that, I turned 33 yesterday. In celebration of my birthday, my sweet and wonderful husband had a glass of wine, flowers and dinner waiting for me when I got home from our variety show dress rehearsal. I absolutely love Kona Grill's appetizer of avocado eggrolls so I had asked him if he could duplicate the recipe. He did quite well and they came out delicious. Although they are known as an appetizer, we had them as our dinner and they were quite filling. I couldn't get enough. I even renamed these as Guac-n-Rolls and can't wait to have them again.  The only thing he might change next time is to put them in the deep fryer so they maintain more of a rounded shape. These by far, are one of my favorite dishes he has made yet. 


Avocado Egg Rolls with Cilantro Vinaigrette Dipping Sauce
*slightly adapted from It’s a Dog’s Life
Cilantro Vinaigrette Dipping Sauce
1 bunch of cilantro
3 teaspoons honey
¾  teaspoon fresh lime juice
¼ cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
In a food processor, place cilantro, honey, lime juice. Pulse until smooth adding olive oil slowly to make a sauce. This is like making a runny pesto. Taste just a little. It should taste like sweet cilantro. You may want to add a little salt or lime juice. 
Let this sit while you make the egg rolls so the flavors can blend.
--------------------------------------------
Avocado Filling
4 avocados
½ medium tomato, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ lime, juiced
½ teaspoon salt
8 to 16 egg roll wrappers (we ended up getting 11 eggrolls out of this recipe)
4 tablespoons olive oil or enough to cover the bottom of the pan
Salt to taste
Directions:
Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
This is a basic chunky guacamole. Cut all avocados in half and place in bowl. Chop the tomato, green onions and garlic. Toss into bowl with avocados. Put seasonings and lime into bowl. Mash gently with potato masher. You want big chunks so don’t over do it.
Egg roll wrappers can be bought at your local grocery store. We found them in the stir-fry vegetable section of our store.  Peel one off.
Place about 2-3 tablespoons of the avocado mixture at one end of the wrapper. Roll once. Fold in the sides.
Continue to roll. When you get to the end wet the wrapper with water. Finish rolling. Keep making egg rolls until you’ve used all the filling. Place them on a damp paper towel covered with a damp paper towel. You don’t want them to dry out.
Place in the preheated skillet. Don't over crowd the pan. Brown egg rolls on each side turning when needed. When brown on each side, place on paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt.
Serve with delicious dipping sauce. 

7 comments:

Amy Anderson said...

Happy belated birthday!!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Linette said...

I love avocado, cilantro and egg rolls. I have got to make these they're all of my favorite foods rolled up into one! Yum!

Wicked Chef # 1 - Linds said...

Hi,
I'm hoping you have a good soup recipe! These egg rolls sound delicious! I'm sick and need some comfort food. If you'd like to enter a recipe please link at http://memoirs-of-2-wicked-chefs.blogspot.com/2011/05/soup-for-my-cold.html Best of luck!

Wicked Chef #1

Shana said...

Hi! Just stopping by. Looks delicious! Following you from the Mom Bloggers Club. Would love it if you would visit and LIKE my page: www.facebook.com/flightlessgoose

Jaime @ PJ's Pastry Shoppe said...

These look soo good!

I have something for you on my blog...!

Jaime

everyday products and more said...

that looks really really good i love egg rolls would have never thought to try avocado in a egg roll thanks for sharing
following you from mbc look forward to reading your posts
http://everydayproductsandmore.blogspot.com/

Brandy K said...

Loving your blog, and my heavens those eggrolls look fabulous! I'm passing an award to you. Come check it out, and if you want, post & pass.
http://brandysbaking.blogspot.com/2011/06/award.html